2008-09-20

Vietnam Festival


Vietnam Festival was held at Yoyogi Park for 3 days: 19-21 Sep. I was concerned about the typhoon but luckily it didn't arrive Tokyo.

I was planning to go on the last day when Lam Truong was supposed to be singing on stage. However suddenly I was offered a job for an ad of Int'l SMS service.

Unlike my thought, all the Vietnamese people I approached asked so many questions in a mixed language of Vietnamese & Japanese. Of course some of them spoke Japanese fluently but not all. I had to try really hard to remember all the Vietnamese words I learned a long ago, in order to catch their attention to the brochure. That was the reason I was tired after this whole day, not that I was standing all afternoon handing out the papers.

Several hours had passed when I realized myself laughing among a group of Vietnamse people saying Vietnamese jokes to each other. It was a very nice moment to remember the satisfied feeling of understanding each other by using a common language; even though, of course, language is not the only way to understand each other; but it helped to build a trust and a feeling of security or reassurance which then helped to develop a conversation after having givin each other's first impression in your mind.

Pity I missed Lam Truong but I earned something much deeper instead.

No comments: